Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Do not comment or reply to ban/warn appeals, staff reports or player reports when you are not directly involved in the situation.

Accepted Burketon's Staff Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burketon

Senior-Moderator
Staff Member
Section A: Applicants background
1.1: What is your in-game name? Burketon
1.2: How old are you? 23
1.3: Do you have a working microphone? Yes
1.4: How long have you been playing Riverside? Joined discord 11 March 2024. Believe I started a week or two before
1.5: Are you fluent in English? Yes
1.6: What is your SteamID? STEAM_0:1:64269379
1.7: What is your Discord? burketon (248170429544529920)
1.8: References (if any)?

Section B: Definitions and critical thinking:
2.1: Define RDM and provide two examples: RDM would be defined by the action of killing someone, through any means, without a valid roleplay reason.
Example 1: Burketon is standing outside of PD as a Citizen, James is standing at the mall as an Assassin. James does not have any hit on record and is looking to kill anyone. James sees Burketon and kills him for no reason. James has committed RDM.
Example 2: James is playing as a Thief and Burketon is a Police Officer. James has just finished a PD Armoury Raid and successfully gotten away. Burketon is driving down towards KFC passing BMW Dealer. James rams Burketon's police car off the road, Gets out and guns Burketon down, killing him. James had no valid reason to do this as he was no longer anywhere near the PD and Burketon posed no risk of arrest or death to James. James has committed RDM.

2.2: Define metagaming and provide two examples: Metagaming is the action of using out of roleplay and/or out of game knowledge to gain an advantage in roleplay.
Example 1: Burketon is playing as an Assassin, James is playing as a Meth Cook. James has just stated in OOC that he is outside of the hospital and is asking for a staff member's assistance as he is stuck. Burketon, knowing he has a hit on James, Uses that information in OOC to get to James before an admin can help him and kills him. Burketon has metagamed by using an Out Of Character reference to gain an advantage in finding James.
Example 2: Burketon and Ben are in a call on discord. Ben is roleplaying as a Weed Grower with a group of other people whilst Burketon is playing as NCA. Ben gives Burketon information about this large weed grow and Burketon decides to act on the information by organising a raid. Burketon decides there is no reason to use his weed sniffer as Ben has already told him what is in that property. Burketon enters the site and raids the weed growers operation destroying over £300,000 worth of grow items and weed. Ben, during the raid, also told Burketon where the other Weed Growers were hiding and what weapons they had so Burketon could kill them before they killed him. Both Burketon and Ben have metagamed by using an external communication channel to gain an advantage in a raid.

2.3: Define FearRP and provide two examples: FearRP is defined by the action of failing to value ones life in a roleplay situation.
Example 1: James is playing as a Terrorist with a suicide vest. Ben is also playing with James as a Terrorist with an AK-47. Burketon has been taken hostage with James and Ben clearly displaying both their bomb and AK-47. James has told Burketon not to move or he will blow everyone up. Burketon knows that the suicide vest, if detonated, would kill him; But he decides to try to escape by jumping onto a keypad and over a fading door. Burketon has just committed FearRP as he failed to value his life.
Example 2: James and Burketon are playing as Thieves and are attempting to rob BP. Before they could advert for the raid, Ben arrives as a Police Officer to fill his car with fuel. Both James and Burketon point their guns at Ben and tell him to not pull a gun and to enter the BP as he was now a hostage. Ben decides he can take on both James and Burketon cause he knows they are bad at PVP. Ben draws his Glock service pistol and attempts to kill James. James guns Ben down. Ben has committed FearRP as he failed to value his life.

2.4: What is cop baiting and provide two examples: Cop Baiting is defined as attempting to gain the attention of the police by openly committing crimes in front of them with the intention of gaining a reaction for a chase / shootout etc.
Example 1: Burketon is playing as a Police officer. James sees Burketon patrolling but he really wants a chase. James decides to ram Burketon off of the road and do spin his car around in front of Burketon in a dangerous manner. Burketon instinctively pursues James as he drives away at speed. James has broken the rules against Cop Baiting by intentionally committing a crime in front of Burketon with the intention of gaining a reaction for a chase.
Example 2: James is playing as a Police Officer whilst Burketon is playing as a thief. Burketon intentionally shoots at the floor around James' feet to start a gun fight. James instinctively reacts by drawing his gun and shooting Burketon. As Burketon has a better gun, Buketon wins the firefight, killing James. As James dealt the first damage, Burketon did not RDM him. Burketon still broke the rules against Cop Baiting by intentionally committing a crime with the intention of gaining a reaction for a shootout.

2.5: What is discrimination and provide two examples: Discrimination is defined as wrongful or prejudicial treatment against another person based on protected categories. Such as People, Ethnicity, disability, age, sex or sexual orientation.
Example 1: James has a Speech Impediment. James enters a gun store owned by Burketon as a Security Guard and asks Burketon if he would like to hire him for protection. Burketon replies with "Sorry, I don't want a security guard that can't speak properly. Go away". Burketon has just discriminated against James due to a disability he has.
Example 2: James is known for being openly gay. Ben has been brought up to be homophobic and really hates gay people. James is minding his own business building as a Hobo outside of PD. Ben decides to target James with insults, slurs and attempts to kill James because he is gay. Ben is openly discriminating against James due to his sexual orientation.

Please answer the following questions as if you were a Trial-Mod:
2.6: Dave has adverted carjack, stolen an NHS members vehicle and drives around the city crashing into multiple parked cars. Tom reports him for failing to advert carjack.
What steps will you take to resolve this sit? I would, firstly, of course pull them both into a sit and ask Tom to explain what happened. I would also ask for any evidence Tom has regarding the vehicle theft. In questioning, I would attempt to ascertain what vehicle Dave has stolen after adverting carjack. After finding that Dave had in fact stolen an NHS vehicle I would attempt to educate Dave on the rules and explain why it was wrong. Explaining that, Under rule B15 you may not commit crime against NHS personnel and also rule B17 Car Minging - You must drive realistically. Checking his history, for this case, I found that I had previously issued Dave a verbal warning for this. I would issue him a warning for Crimes against NHS and also Car Minging. I would explain for the future, that even though he has adverted car jack, He can not steal NHS vehicles.

2.7: Joe has reported William for killing him for no reason with a car bomb. William (Hitman) states that he had a valid reason as it was for a hit. William has also killed three other people with car bombs. What steps will you take to resolve this sit?
I would firstly check the validity of the claim stating that it was a hit.
If I confirmed that it was a hit, I would tell Joe that unfortunately William had a hit on him so the kill was valid and within the rules. I would however instruct William to be more careful due to it killing three other people and tell him that maybe next time it was a good idea to avoid doing it near another group of players.
If I confirmed that it was NOT a hit, I would warn William for RDM x4 and instruct him on the rules under B26. Alternatively, I would potentially issue a ban for MRDM if I could prove it was intentional and depending on a case by case basis

2.8: Garry has reported James (Gun dealer) for killing him for no reason. James has a base on the sidewalk and has openly advertised it as a gun shop server wide. James states that Garry was not permitted inside his shop. James has killed four people in the last three minutes. What steps will you take to resolve this sit?
I would firstly request any evidence Garry had in regards to the incident.
Finding that James had killed Garry, I would ask for the reasoning as to why Garry was banned from entering his store and where this was posted / adverted. I would then consult with the other people James had killed and find if he was validly killing people or not. I would then warn James for RDM and watch him for a short time to see if it is becoming a trend. If it did, I would deal with it accordingly.

2.9: Harry as a Commander in the Police is hosting a meeting he adverts “PD meeting | Starting 5m | Important topics | No major crimes”. Bobby adverts “Base raid” and still proceeds to raid a base despite Harry warning him that raiding is considered a major crime. What steps will you take to resolve this sit? I would bring Bobby away and explain why No major crimes are allowed at the moment and also explain why Base Raiding is considered a major crime. I would suggest that he takes a look over the server rules and familiarise himself with them so he doesn't get confused again. I probably would not warn Bobby for this as it is not an extreme break of rules and this could be easily sorted with a friendly conversation.

Section C: Questions
3.1: Why should we choose you over other applicants?
I believe I am an extremely good fit into the staff team. I have developed a great relationship with the majority of your staff team. I am known for being fair and approachable to all I have encountered. I know that I will always stick by my own views and I am one to always stand up for what is right. I will always challenge incorrect behaviour and follow through with what I am going to do. I know I could help Riverside, I believe choosing me would prove that. I have also created some extremely close relationships with a lot of the members here, giving me the edge up over other candidates.

3.2: If you were in a situation you did not know how to handle what would you do?
I would simply ask someone. Explaining the situation and seeing if we can come up with a resolution. I would, of course, follow any chain of command available at the time moving to the next senior above me and so on until we had an answer.

3.3: Do you have previous experience staffing servers?
Yes, in over 5000 hours in GMod I have worked and ran various servers. However, I have not had an experience such as this for approximately 1 year.

3.4: List three strengths that you have that will help you staff:
Great Communication Skills - I am great at communicating with people.
Attention to detail - I have an extremely high attention to detail. I find myself picking at statements, evidence etc that help me come to a positive solution.
Integrity - I find myself being willing to challenge wrong doing but also stand up when in fact it was my wrong doing.

3.5: List three weaknesses that may affect you when you’re staff:
Inability to say no - I am always the first person to say yes whenever someone needs a task completing. Which can harm me by putting me further back on current tasks I am working on.
Sharing responsibility - I am not great at sharing responsibility. I prefer to be very hands on as I trust I will always do the best I can. Meaning sometimes I find myself pushing too far and overworking myself.
Experience - My previous experience comes from running servers. Being an owner operator previously may affect my staffing on this server. I will need to step back, listen and learn again.

3.6: Why do you want to be a staff member?
Firstly, I would like to become a member of the staff team for the experience. I believe, with this server up and coming, I can better establish myself as a proven and active member of the community by stepping up and taking part in a new role. This role would mean using my close relationship to a lot of the members to my advantage, ensuring I bring the community exactly what they want.
Secondly, I have so much experience dealing with people while in confrontation or heated situations, I believe I can pass on that experience to other staff members that maybe don’t have that experience.
Next, I believe in a safe environment for all. I want to promote safe gaming within the community and show that everyone is welcome no matter their background or situation. Gaming should be inviting for all members and I believe I can help with that.
Further, I can bring both creativity and flexibility to the staff team. I believe that the creativity required to become a staff member is something that people really take for granted. Knowing that you have to think on the spot and adapt to situations and the users general attitude towards the issue you are dealing with. You have to look at it like you are providing a service for the "customers'' aka players.
Finally, I enjoy making people happy. At the end of the day, providing an excellent service and meeting the needs of the players makes me feel more intune with the server and overall improves my own attitude. I know this will push me to strive for excellence and really want to create something more for myself and the people around me.

3.7: Do you have any disabilities (or other issues) that may impact your ability as staff? No
Have you received any help when creating this application?
No
Do you consent to further fact-checking and background checking?
Yes

Last edited:

Bugware

Junior-Admin
Staff Member
+1

Decent knowledge of the rules despite somewhat short playtime.
I believe you'd make an amazing member of staff, and would love to see you join the team.

-NCA DIRGEN
-EX SCO DEPTCST

Bobness

Senior-Moderator
Staff Member
Neutral

Quite a solid application, haven't seen you too much in-game so can't say too much there, but from your application you seem like a good fit for the staff team.

Burketon

Senior-Moderator
Staff Member
Neutral

Quite a solid application, haven't seen you too much in-game so can't say too much there, but from your application you seem like a good fit for the staff team.
Much appreciated Bobness, Don't believe I've seen you either. I'll try to make an effort to introduce myself if I see you!

Sky1ine

Staff Supervisor
Appeals & Reports
Head-Admin
Forums Assistant
Staff Management
Staff Member
+1

Sound lad, Good knowledge of the rules, Would make a good addition to staff team.

Benny

Appeals & Reports
Forums Assistant
Admin
Staff Member
+1

Seems like a solid guy, knows the ins and outs of the rules, and would definitely bring something positive to the team. :)

Good luck!

Kind regards,
Benny

Speedy

Event Manager
Staff Supervisor
Head-Admin
Staff Management
Staff Member
Approved
Please Message a member of staff management for an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom